I came across this in my devotional time, and it hit me like a bucket of ice water. Why hadn't I seen this before? Why have I waited until now to START doing this? Read this excerpt from Streams in the Desert and we'll "chat" at the end of it, okay? (it's funny typing this all into my computer, because I feel like we all should be sitting down having iced vanilla lattes at my house on my big couches instead! Sometimes I pretend that we are. :) ) Here goes:
Jesus looked up and said, "Father, I thank you that you have heard me." John 11:41 The sequence of events in this passage seems strange and unusual. Lazarus was still in his tomb, yet Jesus' thanksgiving preceded the miracle of raising him from the dead. It seems that thanks would only have been lifted up once the great miracle had been accomplished and Lazarus had been restored to life. But Jesus gave thanks for what He was about to receive. His gratitude sprang forth before the blessing had arrived, in an expression of assurance that it was certainly on its way. The song of victory was sung before the battle had been fought. It was the Sower singing the song of harvest - it was thanksgiving before the miracle!
Who ever thinks of announcing a victory song as the army is just heading out to the battlefield? And where do we ever hear a song of gratitude and thanksgiving for an answer that has not yet been received?
Yet in this Scripture passage, there is nothing strange, forced, or unreasonable to the Master's sequence of praise before the miracle. Praise is actually the most vital preparation to the working of miracles.
Praise Changes Things:
Nothing pleases God more than praise as part of our prayer life, and nothing blesses someone who prays as much as the praise that is offered. I once received a great blessing from this while in China. I had recently received bad news from home and deep shadows of darkness seemed to cover my soul. I prayed but the darkness remained. I forced myself to endure but the shadows only deepened. Then suddenly one day, as I entered a missionary's home at an inland station, I saw these words on the wall: "Try giving thanks." So I did, and in a moment every shadow was gone, never to return. Yes, the psalmist was right: "It is good to praise the Lord." Psalm 92:1
Isn't that so good?? I've been faithful in praying, but I haven't once praised God in advance for answering my prayer for a godly husband. So, I stopped and closed my eyes and did just that. And it was so hard to get the words out. Doubts from the enemy threatened to steal my faith. What if God doesn't have marriage for you? Aren't you being a bit presumptuous? I ignored the lies and decided that I would pray boldly and praise Him for the gift of marriage and prepare myself for that role until God either brings that about or He leads me in another direction.
If you haven't praised God for your future husband or praised Him for the work He will do in healing your marriage (or whatever it is you're praying for), I encourage you to stop right now and do just that! :)
Love & Blessings,
Jen
